Lets Get Physical
Epsom Salts - A Cheap Model Beauty Secret!
Have you ever heard of Epsom Salts? You may have heard about them as a way to relieve aches & pains, however, this product has so much more to offer & at roughly $10 per kilo, this beauty find is a real keeper!
Epsom salt is made up ofsulfate, which is a mineral compound. As listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council, Epsom Salts were found to have:
- Improved heart and circulatory health
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
So this wonder salt led us to do some research into other ways we can use Epsom Salts!
1. Body Scrub - It is an excellent exfoliator for the skin as it smooths and softens and eliminates rough patches. Use a handful of them along with some warm water and a soft washcloth. Another option is to mix it with lavender oil or olive oil to make an ultra moisturizing body scrub. Scrub the skin gently with the washcloth in small circles.
2. Face Exfoliator - Either use the Epsom salts with water only or mix them with your regular skin cleanser. Massage them into your skin gently and wash off with a soft washcloth and warm water.
3. Face Mask - Blend 1/4 cup of grated carrot, 1/2 teaspoon of epsom salts, and 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise. Spread over pre-dampened skin, wait 10 minutes, and remove.
4. Ultimate Detox Soak - Add two cups of Epsom salt, 1 Cup of Sea Salt, 2 Cups of Baking Soda & 2 Tablespoons of Glycerin. Combine the sea salts, baking soda, and Epsom salts in a bowl. Stir to blend. Pour 1/4 cup or so into the bath while the tub is filling. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons glycerin to keep your skin from drying out (more for dry skin, less for oily skin) and essential oils of choice. Soak for 12 minutes. You can also add Ginger as a way to further open your pores!
5. Hair Conditioner - Get voluminous, model hair by using Epsom salts with your deep conditioner. Mix a handful of them with the deep conditioner and then apply to your hair. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes and rinse with warm water. Your hair will have tons of volume and shine.
6. Splinter Remover - Soak in epsom salt, it will draw out the splinter.
7. Acne Mask - Mix 1 tablespoon of cognac, 1 tablespoon of dry milk, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice and half tablespoon of Epsom salt in a bowl. Apply it on the affected area and keep it masked until dry. Let the mask dry naturally. Rinse off with cold water.
8. Shower Body Smoothie (for the neck down) - Mix 1 Tablespoons of Epsom Salts with 1 Tablespoon of Coffee a Teaspoon of Eucalyptus Oil & 1 Teaspoon of Sesame oil. Mix the Epsom salt and coffee grounds in a medium bowl, then add the oils and stir thoroughly until you have a smooth (not runny) paste. Wet your body in the shower, then turn water off. Use the whole palm of each hand to scrub your body, from your neck to your feet, for several minutes. Rinse your body. Your skin will feel silky smooth!
9. Sunburn Mask - Add a teaspoon of Epsom salt to a cup of hot water and mix until it dissolves. Chill the solution for 20 minutes. Apply to clean, dry skin.
Once you have had your soak or pampered your face its time to sleep! Make sure an hour before you sleep you turn off all technology, place your phone away from your bed & make the environment calm. Make sure the temperature is not too hot or too cold & stick to a consistent time. Take a few minutes when you climb into bed to massage essential oils such as Roman chamomile, Lavender & geranium-rose into the soles of your feet, your skin, and your hands. The fragrance not only induces feelings of calm, the massaging motion will help you wind down and soothe tired muscles. A bedtime ritual like this is often helpful in communicating to your mind that it is time to end its work for the day! Goodnight!
Need to lose a dress size by this weekend?
The Soup Diet is a 7-day eating plan that can be used as often as you like & is recommened by many doctors. If correctly followed, it will clean out your system of impurities and give you a feeling of well-being. After only 7 days of this process, you will begin to feel lighter by at least 2-3 kilos and possible 5 kilos! The cool thing about this diet is you do not have to stress to much about measuring quanities, counting calories & having to spend money on new ingredients!
This soup can be eaten anytime you are hungry during the week. Eat as much as you want, whenever you want. This soup will not add calories. The more you eat, the more you will lose. You may want to fill a thermos in the morning if you will be away during the day.
You also need to drink plenty of water - 1-2 lites a day! The following is also allowed:
- Unsweetened juices
- Tea (also herbal)
- Coffee (no sugar)
- Cranberry juice
- Skim milk
- Water, water, water
- 6 large onions
- 2 green peppers
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 large bunch of celery
- 2 large cans or fresh tomatoes
Cut vegetables in medium sized pieces. Cover with water & boil for 10 minutes. Season with dry onions or other herbs. Add a tablespoon of salt and 4 beef cubes. Simmer until vegetables are soft.
- Eat any fruit except bananas.
- Eat only fruit and soup all day
- Watermelon is ideal.
- Eat all vegies except potatoes.
- Stay away from peas & corn. Eat vegies & soup
- Dinner: 1 Large Baked Potato with Cheese
- Eat all the soup, fruit, vegetables you want besides Potatoes.
- Should have lost 2-3 kilos.
- Bananas and Skim Milk.
- Eat at least 3 bananas & as much milk as possible with Soup!
- 250 – 500g of Beef or Chicken Fillet and 6 Tomatoes. Plus eat the soup
- Eat as many beef and vegies as you like. No Potato. Still eat soup.
- 2 Cups of Brown Rice, Fruit, Vegies & Soup!
Are you making yourself sick?
It is true & it has been proven time & time again that your emotions can make you ill. Whether it be something like a knot in your throat, an ache in your shoulder, a head ache or disease - it can have a connection to your emotions.
The neurotransmitters that fire in the brain also connect with hormones, immune cells and organs, contributing to disease and poor health. However, the good news is that our positive emotions like:
- Getting a new spunky boyfriend
- Passing a treacherous Exam
- Starting our dream job
- Recieving flowers from a special someone
- Connecting with someone you have always liked on Facebook
- Getting married to the man you love
- Watching a funny movie like Ted
...can all help our bodily functions!
However, there are times in our lives where sometimes we can not control how negative the situation is. For example, a death in the family, a divorce or an ilness! Sometimes it can take years for these negative emotions felt at the time to develop into a condition like cancer or even an immediate anxiety attack/headache or stomach ache. It also may be that you were genitically predisposed to an ilness but the added negative emotions can worsen the effects.
So we have come up with some ways to help you overcome negative feelings & emotions!
NUMBER ONE - Acknowledge you are experiecing the emotion but understand that you are not going to gain anything from continualy feeling that way. For example, if you father passed away, being upset for months on end can lead to a breakdown of your own relationships, productivity at work, loss of friendships & your personal appearance. You are gaining nothing from continuing to let these emotions take over you. However, if you had more positve emotions it could lead to positive things like helping others, improving your relationships, furthering your career & improving your appearance. Try repeating positive affirmations to yourself to re-write negative emotions & write them down daily. While it is important to ponder life's problems, worrying will not help.
NUMBER TWO - try activities that get your mind off stewing and fuming such as volunteer work. Joy comes from helping others less fortunate.
NUMBER THREE - Avoid caffeine and sugar. Enjoy soups, stews and warming foods. Lots of fruits & vegetables to rid your body of toxins! Plus drink plenty of fluids.
NUMBER FOUR - Deep breathing. In through one nostril, out through the other nostril (holding your thumb on either nostril).
NUMBER FIVE - Allow yourself one 'guilty pleasure' a day.NUMBER SIX - Get lots of sun! Vitamin D is the happy Vitamin.
NUMBER SEVEN - Listen to your favourite music -preferably with positive lyrics! Musical Therapy has amazing benefits!Seek and avoid allergens, increase good fats such as nuts, seeds, fish, olive oil, avocado.
Change your body shape!
Are you constantly hating on your thighs? Despising your "fat arm"? Hiding your hips? These are common for women all over the world and while we do have to accept our bone structure - it is possible to alter your shape! Firstly its important to understand that many times our shape is genetically predetermined. So check out photos of your Mum/Aunties/Grandparents at your current age & check out their bodies! Sometimes our structure means that no matter what we do we will never be "Miranda Kerr" or "Kim Kardashian".
A good example is Serena Williams who despite being super fit, having very low body fat & pretty much a 6 pack still has quite large thighs, a big frame and large boobs. Someone else like Tyra Banks could do the same exercise and have the same body fat but look dramatically different. So keep in mind that sometimes no matter how little you eat & how much you work out - you may remain a certain shape.
The first thing to do if you are going to embark on altering your Body Shape is to take measurements! This way you can measure how succesful you are being & where you are an are not getting results. This can also help tailor your program to make sure you reach your goal.
Hand a friend a tape measure and record the circumference of the following. Make sure when you re-measure that you measure the exact same spot. Be careful how the measuring tape is sitting on the body to ensure it is straight and not dipping which can alter the measurement:
CHEST. Place the tape measure across the middle of your breasts or chest and around the circumference of your back; exhale before the measurement is recorded.
WAIST. Place the tape measure around your midsection, 1 inch above your belly button.
HIPS. Place the tape measure just below your hips, at the widest spot but still above your buttocks.
THIGHS. Measure the circumference of your upper thigh at the widest point, just barely under your buttocks.
KNEES. Measure 1 inch above the top of your kneecap.
CALVES. Measure in the middle of the calf, at the widest point.
ARMS. Measure on the upper arm just under the armpit, at the widest part.
So while I may have depressed you by telling you that you may just not be able to change your shape there is some good news with real evidence! If you take a look below at the images, you can see how dramatic some shape changes can be with weight loss. Ricki Lee went from a typical pear shape who pretty much had given up on ever being thin. After getting serious with a Personal Trainer you can see how phenomenal she looks. The funny thing is that by looking at her now, you would never consider her a Pear shape - so this is why I believe you can change your shape!
Lara Bingle is the best example of how only 5-10 kilos can dramatically change the way you appear. As of late Lara Bingle is looking more Kim Kardashian than Victoria Secret Model. However, if you look at her only a few years ago you would say she is far from curvy, stick thin, athletic and super lean. While I think she really does look beautiful & sexier than ever at her current weight, its important to see how those few kilos can change your shape! From her latest TV show it also seems her skin is breaking out which could be a result of a high sugar diet. If you are like Lara and want to become the pre-break up Lara then this is what we suggest:
- 7 Day Detox to drop initial 2 kilos
- Clean diet of 1500 Calories a day - high protein, low carb, high fibre
- 4 x 1 Hour Cardio Sessions a week (Konga & Vypa) to increase fat burn
- Chest Press to keep the chest perky!
- 2 x 1 Hour Toning Sessions a week (Jagua or Gym Session with weights) to shape the abdominals, lift the buttocks, shape the thighs & sculpt the arms
- Bioceuticals Alpha EFA, extracted from the fresh berry and fresh seed of the sea buckthorn plant to stop blemishes & breakouts
- Bodyism Body Brilliance Powder to increase metabolism and a great way to help detoxification
Jessica Simpson is a little bit like Lara Bingle in that she has gone from being "The Girl Next Door" with lean legs, a small frame and no butt! If you were to dicuss her shape now you would say she is super curvy, Kardashian style butt with a medium frame! With Jessica's latest pregnancy she is going to be working super hard to get her body back in "Hollwood" shape. We suggest the following movements to help redefine, reshape and reform your body post-pregnancy:
- High Energy/Fat Burning movements that will shock your system like Plyometrics, Lateral Step Ups, Burpies - all things you can do at home with no equipment, with the baby by your side!
- Core/Pelvic Floor exercises to strengthen the stomach muscles after pregnancy and regain a strong Pelvic Floor.
- Power Walking as you can take your new bub with you & keep burning the calories!
Hilary Duff is another example of how a few kilos changes your frame! While she is still skinny and looks very healthy you could say her body is quite round & her arms seem to store some of her weight. If you looked at her "super super skinny" photo you would never think that she stored weight on her arms and is rounded. She looks like a rake with a straight build & super lean! If your problem area is your arms then these are some tips for you:
- Get your body fat to as low as possible
- Get into a Vypa or Boxing class which forces you to constantly use your arms but without gaining size
- Dance! Get to a Tyga or Konga class which has you shaking, waving, pumping & pushing your arms constantly
- Dry exfoliate your arms before you have a shower & moisturize every night to make sure blood is circulating in the area & you look after your skin elasticity.
- Increase your fibre intake to ensure you are getting rid of toxins
Remember to check back at your Measurments to see if your diet/workouts are helping you change your shape! If you find you are losing a little bit too much in one area (chest) then you can look at exercises to increase that area!
Start eating clean!
Step 1 - Get Your Head Right
You cannot enter a eating plan without getting "in the zone".
Step 2 – Plan your Eating
You should lose 1-2kgs a week (up to 5kgs for people over 90 kilos), depending on your starting weight. We are going to be consuming 1000-1500 calories per day (which is a lot lower than the daily recommened calorie intake). However, you need to remember this is a Detox and is only short term!
- Eat lots of fibre to eliminate toxins & keep you going to the toilet (for you know what)!
- No alcohol
- One coffee per day is allowed or unlimited black/green tea.
- Portion Size is crucial - stick to our portions or you may just put on weight
- Plan everything you are going to eat 7 days in advance written down on paper. This way you will have no suprise binges or cravings.
- If you ever are desperate to eat outside of the meal plan, drink 1 cup of water and then reassess your cravings.
- Choice 1 - Herb Omelette - http://thedukandietsite.com/907/dukan-diet-recipe-herby-omelette/
- Choice 2 - Berry Protein Shake - http://suite101.com/article/lowcalorie-lowfat-berry-whey-protein-smoothie-a135606
- Choice 3 - Yoghurt Parfait - http://www.chatelaine.com/en/blog/post/36541--blackberry-yogurt-parfait-superfood-recipe-day-4
- Choice 1 - 1 apple & 1 matchbox-sized serve full-fat cheese
- Choice 2 - 2 Corn Thins with 1 tablespoon of no added sugar peanut butter
- Choice 3 - 4 squares dark chocolate
- Choice 1 - One Can of Tuna or Fish alternative with Balsamic Vinegar Salad
- Choice 2 - 1 Hard Boiled Egg & 1 Thin Steak
- Choice 3 - Herb Chicken with Feta - http://www.weightloss.com.au/recipes/lunch-recipes/herbed-chicken-salad-with-feta-recipe.html
- Choice 1 - 1 boiled egg & a Vegetable
- Choice 2 - 1 small tub of Yoghurt or Baby Food
- Choice 3 - Half a can of Baked Beans
- Choice 1 - BBQ Fish with a side of Vegetables or Salad
- Choice 2 - Soup - http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/kick-start/article/-/39731/kick-start-stage-one-soup-recipe/
- Choice 3 - Beef Thai Salad - http://www.weightloss.com.au/recipes/salad-recipes/thai-beef-salad-recipe.html
Step 3 – Get your butt moving
The more exercise the better however you cannot do any less than 30-60 mins every 2nd day. Ideally you want to do a mix of cardio & weights to burn fat and tone the body. We recommend a Jungle Body class as this combats both toning and cardio. However, briskly walking to work, around the shopping centre or down the road is still considered exercise. You may even try Hoola-hooping at home, a fitness DVD or swimming. Try and find something you enjoy and commit to it! If you want to get fit in the comfort of your own home, check out Body Rock TV - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlRIo3KLq5E&feature=plcp.
Step 4 – Hydrate yourself
You MUST drink 2 litres of water a day and more if you are getting your sweat up in your Exercise.
Step 5 - Nutrients/Minerals/Vitamins/Supplements
Supplements, Vitamins, Minerals & Herbs are a fantastic way to improve energy levels, absorption, skin, hair, nails, weight loss, mood & detoxification. Speak to your Doctor or Pharmacist about some of the following:
- Psyllium Husk – High in Fibre
- Chlorela/Spirulina – Full of Vitamins/Minerals/Alkalizing/Antioxidants
- Fish Oil – Omega 3’s
- Chia Seeds - Protein
- Zinc – to improve skin/immunity
- Magnesium – for muscles/nerves
- Vitamin C – for immunity and absorption of Iron
- Iron – Energy
- Sea Buckthorn Plant – Acne
- Vitamin E – for skin
Founder of The Jungle Body shares with Womens Health and Fitness some great Winter feast ideas!